Monday and Tuesday my throat felt like I was coming down with something for sure. I bagged Tuesday's 5 mile base run just to be safe. The last time I didn't listen to my body in a case like this I came down with a full blown cold.
Come dawn Wednesday (today) I laid in bed and tried to figure out what to do. I had a tempo run on the schedule with 3x12 min at 10k pace (8m/m). Should I do it? Should I not run at all again? Maybe do the base run I skipped instead?
It was raining cats and dogs yesterday but this morning there was some sun and it was not raining so I decided to do the run. My throat had some crud in it but it wasn't hurting so I figured it would clear out once I got up and going.
There was a rainbow out during the run which I hoped was a good sign.
It went well...I felt pretty strong...some lingering effects from Sunday (some soreness on the outside of my right glute/hip) but not too bad and I didn't feel sick or anything. (But during the actual run you almost always feel a lot better...the real impact comes later.....that night or the next day.)
It did rain on me a little bit during the run but nothing too bad. The HRs were quite good..so I hope that means I'm not going to get worse.
I have a good long time until race day so even if I caught a cold I could make the race..but I would lose my chance at a fast time.
These are the tough calls you have to make ...push push push...back off a touch, and push again...so hard to know what to do.
Crossing my fingers!