After a 20 mile run, there is usually at least some DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) the day after the day after.
But I seem to have got off scott-free after Wednesday mornings long run. I'm not sure why....there are various extenuating facts to consider:
- Zensa calf sleeves (but why the quads ok too?)
- Gym workouts I've been doing twice a week (weights, core, quads, floor exercises)
- The 3 minutes or so of walking I did (10x20sec) during the run to loosen up my tight right leg/hip.
- Wearing zero-drop shoes (my huaraches! 8) the rest of the day to stretch out my legs when walking around the office.
- The easy pace for the run (10:10 m/m)
- Went in hot tub that night.
- Did not take ibuprofen after the run (?)
Probably each of these things helped? When I start really booking the miles on for my 50k I'm going to have to remember these tricks.
This morning of course I noticed lack of DOMS, saddled up for a short recovery run...and immediately noticed how good my legs really did feel. Absolutely no residual tightness of the leg/hip, no DOMS...hmm..what's going on? I wore the Nike Frees and they beckoned for some faster running but I said: "HEEL! Bad doggies!".
I know that after a hard or long run there's subtle damage that you many not feel, but that weakens everything and makes me more prone to bad things. So I enjoy our nice slow run and think to myself things are looking just peachy for Surf City so DON'T BLOW IT now.
After the run I went to the gym and my usual routine there too. I think we may let the dogs out for a tempo run on Sunday 8)
T-10 days: Weather for Huntington Beach is morning low of 47F, afternoon high of 70F. No rain. Sounds pretty darn good..may be a bit warm at the end of the race but not too bad.